Saturday, October 19, 2019

Rebecca (Scholfield) Dolson's Letter to Her Sister


Among the family treasures preserved by my Grandmother McLean were three old letters from one family member to another. The oldest of the three is dated “June the Sixth” and postmarked “Clark Ill June 7th 1828”. It’s a chatty letter written by Rebecca (Scholfield) Dolson to her sister Lydia (Scholfield) McDonald, telling about her new home in Clark County, Illinois (she and her husband Benjamin had moved there about 1822), and asking after family members still in Newton Township, Muskingum County, Ohio.
Page one of Rebecca's letter
The actual letter is oversized, and was folded into a small square for mailing. No envelope was used; the address was written on the folded letter. Although a rudimentary mail system existed, there was no home pickup or delivery, and certainly no mailbox down the road. A letter writer in a remote rural area waited until a trip to town was warranted to “post” a letter. If someone stopped by the homestead on the way to town, the writer might entrust the letter to him. Once a letter got to town, it would go to the postmaster who saw it was put on the right stage coach. Railroads would later carry the mail from one town to the next, but in 1828, horsepower was the only way to go. On the receiving end, the letter would be kept at the post office waiting for someone to stop by and inquire whether or not there was any mail. The letter Lydia (or someone in her family) was handed had no stamp, but there was a fee involved. In order to get the letter, the recipient had to pay the postmaster for the mailing cost.
Page two of Rebecca's letter. The mailing address is on the right
When Lydia got home with the letter, she would have certainly read it to her family and then probably passed it around to be read by individuals. A modern reader, fixated on the rules of written text, would struggle a bit with the letter. Rebecca’s letter is filled with phonetic, non-standard spelling, a glancing blow at capitalization, and not a single punctuation mark. It took me many readings before I came up with a complete transcription. The letter, for me, turned out to be more than just a valuable genealogical resource. It is for me, a literacy teacher, a wonderful example of the importance of reading to get the writer’s message, no matter how non-standard the presentation. When I read this letter, I “hear” Rebecca Scholfield Dolson: she loved her family, and missed them (as she would have written it “mitely”), even though her new life was good; she was impatient to hear from them and chided Lydia gently (“this is the Second lettrer I rote Since I got enny”); she had a sense of humor, ending the letter “if you cant read this letter fetch it to me and I will reade it for you.”

Over the years, I found out more about Rebecca’s life than one might expect to find about a woman who lived 150 years ago. For this information, I am indebted to another Scholfield letter-writer, Rebecca’s brother Thomas who wrote a letter to their brother, my great-great-great grandfather, Lemuel C. Scholfield, in 1868. However, I’ll wait for another time to continue Rebecca’s story. (The details of Thomas’ letter can be found in my article, “Unintended Family History: Thomas Scholfield’s Letter to His Brother”, which was published in the Ohio Genealogical Society Quarterly in 2016.)

Below is my transcription of Rebecca’s letter. Listen for her voice.
                                                                                                            Ilinoys Clark County
Dear Sister with pleasure I embrace this opportunity to inform you that wee ar both well at present hopen these few lins will find you all in the same helth wee hav nad no Sickness Sence wee have bin here It is a very helthy place I am vary well [illegible] when I thin About you all Sum tims I think I never well See enney of you a gain But Benjamin tells me that he well fetch me to See you all in two or three year I have no hope of Seein enny of you come to See me I think if you all knode what a fine place this is you wood leve where you live wee had no neighbours when wee first come here bout now wee have a plenty wee are dooin vary well in the way of property wee have a fine stock round us and nice young orchard Set out Bout Sume times I set and think About you all and the wattre runs Mity free tha puts in mind of what unkil William used to Say a bout me tell Thomas I am Much a blige to him for comin to See me as he promised bout won thing I now if he don’t see fet to come he must Stay this is the Second lettrer I rote Since I got enny if you git this I want you to write as Soon as you Can for I want to here from you all [illegible] more if I cant git to see you I wish to be remembered to Sister ann And family and to broher Lemuel and Thomas and to aunt Elizabeth and aunt Rebecca and to poor old Mother in perticler tell ann to write me the next letter if it was posabel for you to move I think you would Dough better than you can whre you leve ther cant be no better palce for [illegible] Stock than this nothing more at present but remainin your loven Sister until Death if you cant read this letter fetch it to me and I will reade it for you
                                                                                                            June the Sixth
Rebecca Dolson                                                                      Lydia McDonald
[Addressed]
Mrs Lydia McDonald
Ohio Muskingum County union town post office Uniontown Ohio
[Postmarked]


No comments:

Post a Comment